“Folk high school and a civil society – from cultural education to increased level of literacy” – is the title of the project, which on the one hand perfectly fits in the interest and work of our association and partners, whom we invited to implement this project, and may also be very helpful in enriching the work of teachers of partner organizations in developing the civil society.
The year 2018 was declared the Year of Cultural Heritage by the European Commission (EYCH -European Year of Cultural Heritage). In the Culture Development Strategy (Strategia Rozwoju Kultury) 2004-2020 it is noted that the participation in culture is one of the aspects of socio-economic development. During talks with our foreign partners, we decided, considering those two aspects, this is a great moment to present our project. The more so because in each country our partners come from, there are similar problems with participation in culture and with a low level of basic skills (according to PIAAC, over 16% of European adults have problems with basic skills).
While preparing this project, all partner organizations carried out quite detailed internal analyses toidentify the following problems:
- Very few students interested in the offer – problems of the institution
- Non-attractive courses for adults – the reluctance of educators to the novelty resulting from the fear of the unknown
- Low basic skills of the local community
- Lack of educational offer promoting the language and culture of the region among expatriates (foreigners)
- A large percentage of people with low basic skills. The main goals of our project, on which we and our partners particularly care are:
- An increase in the number of participants in courses improving basic skills
- Expanding the educational offer taking into account the needs of the local community
- Inspiring the staff to introduce new educational solutions (cultural education with education for the improvement of basic competences)
- Organization of pilot courses on basic skills through cultural education.The international dimension of this project will allow participants to verify their skills and learn new
methods of working with students. Thanks to trips to international project meetings to Spain, Italy,Germany and Poland related to culture and local traditions, teachers from all partner institutions will raise their own cultural awareness of partner countries / regions and enrich their own “workshop”.
The increase in the competences of educators will correspond directly into the increase of the level of basic skills amongst adults living in the local communities. In the opinion of the authors of the project,such selected priorities are consistent with the idea of the entire project, with its goals and with accordance to the Europe 2020 . At the same time, those priorities are a response to the needs of society across Europe
Due to the fact that the project laguage will be English, we expect our teachers to improve their language skills. Taking into account the fact of different locations of partners in various cultural areas, the participants of these meetings will gain knowledge about the culture of partner countries. During meetings they will have the opportunity to exchange experiences with other educators related to cultural education in different countries. Such meetings will certainly contribute to improving interpersonal competences and team work skills.
After the completion of the project “Folk high school and a civil society – from cultural education to increased level of literacy” , we are confident that by using the knowledge and skills, teachers of our schools will be much better prepared to help increase the percentage of people participating in adult. Enriched with new methods and forms of educational activities adquired by partners we will allow to reduce the number of adults with low basic skills for example by increasing the numbers of participants in cultural education courses in each partner’s organization.
The project’s innovations is based on using curtural eduaction to imporve the levels of basic skills in the fiels of reading, writing and ICT. It is much easier to encourge them to take part in activities related to cultural education very broadly understood. During singing, learning about tradition and cooking you can also practice and improve basic skills and at the same time enrichic your knowledge abourt culture. This makes people more creative and active which relates directly into the civil society.